There is a special kind of magic that comes with outdoor, fall photo sessions. The leaves are changing color, and covering the ground. There is a crispness in the air and a glow to the light that creates a lovely backdrops at this time of year. If you are looking to book a session here’s a few tips to make your session go smoothly.
1. Dress warmly. You will be surprised at how often this is overlooked. Since you’ll be standing outside for a long period of time think of layering your look. A great jacket, warm sweater, shrug or scarf and gloves will be welcome. Trust me, shivering makes it hard to stay relaxed, enjoy your session and pose properly. I suggest investing in hot pockets
2. Bring heat packs with you. This is an add on to dressing warmly particularly if it is a winter shoot. Be prepared with reusable or disposable hot packs that can provide instant heat to warm your hands and body.
3. Watch the weather. Fall days in my neck of the woods usually means misty rain or fog, which may not be the images you want. If you are looking for bright sunny fall day, try and keep an eye on the weather forecast to make sure that you don’t end up with a downpour.
4. Be flexible. If the weather isn't exactly what you had hoped for, see if you can still make the photo session work. Perhaps adding a nice umbrella would give you fun fall images as well. If your photographer is agreeable, reschedule the date. However, if you were scheduling this session in advance, you may just have to work with the weather on that particular day.
5. Incorporate color. Even though fall and winter have some amazing colors to work with, why not wear a splash of color to really stand out in your photos? For example, vibrant shades of blues and greens look amazing amongst crunchy brown leaves.
6. Plan your day. The best time for taking photos is just after the sun rises or just before it sets. You will get amazing light so plan your session around those golden times.
Finally, take some hot tea, coffee or hot chocolate along to make your photo session even more enjoyable, oh and hey include that in the shoot as a prop!Here’s to fall sessions and some beautiful photo memories.